mumsnet

Wednesday 14 March 2012

Mothers day - fantasy verses reality!!!!

I am awakened gently on mothers day at half past eight with a cup of tea, a beautiful bunch of flowers, presents, cards and happy faces.  I have a long luxurious shower followed by a breakfast of smoked salmon, scrambled eggs, toasted bagels and a glass of bucks fizz.
Then we all go out for a long walk in the woods with the children as its such a beautiful sunny day, we all come home and watch a disney film together.  Then the baby sitter arrives and my husband whisks me off to a really expensive restaurant where we sit and have a fabulous three course meal, surrounded by soft lighting, lots of wine and mellow music.......................

UHHHHHH, reality check!!!!  This is probably how my day will go......

I am awakened on mothers day at ridiculously early o' clock by one or two children crying because they were not first to give me their card made at school/nursery and half dead bunch of tulips which have been squashed in the general tussle of getting to mummy first.  Husband will then take them downstairs whilst I try to have a lay in (which i will give up in in roughly 15mins as i can't stand listening to the general madness that is going on downstairs, including dog barking, children fighting, husband crashing around !)  I will come down still in my P.Js to be greeted by a luke warm bacon sandwich which I have to share with N01 son, a quick kiss on the cheek and a 'bye' as husband and No1 son rush off to rugby leaving me and the diva to take the dog for a walk.   Then we will all meet at home for more bickering about what film to watch, the fact that homework still needs to be done, and then I will probably have to cook a dinner as something really important will need to be done in the garage!!!!  After frantic baths, tantrums over hair washing, drying, stories and milk the children will be packed off to bed.  I will sit down with a glass of wine and try to relax!!! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

But if I am honest, is the dream better than the reality? The home made cards give you a lump in the throat because in actual fact they are so much more perfect than one bought in a shop, the fact that they are fighting to get to me first shows how much they love me !  The walk with just me and the diva gives us a bit of quality time and I know that Hubby and son will be having fun together which is all I really want. 
If I left it to hubby to cook dinner I would probably interfere, tell him he is doing it wrong (cos thats the kind of gal I am!!)  and do I really want time away from the real reason I actually get to celebrate mothers day? 
A glass of wine, a cuddle and the words ' you are the best mummy in the world, I love you two big bits' will do for me every time xx

Some one said to me this week - jokingly - mothers day should be about doing motherly things, cooking cleaning, ironing etc.. so that would make every day mothers day then!!  Sometimes its just nice to be reminded that we are doing a good job, that we are appreciated, that we are loved x

Happy mothers day to all you imperfect mummies out there!
We deserve it  xx

No comments:

Post a Comment