mumsnet

Friday 4 May 2012

add it to the list!!!

I like to think of myself as a fairly organised person.  I like being on time, I like to know what is happening, I don't like suprises much and I love a LIST!!! - Yes some may say anal/controlling but I prefer the term organised!!

I don't know if its the teacher in me or a bit of OCD leaking out but I would be lost without a list.

I write them for everything - food shopping lists, clothes shopping lists, lists for going on holiday (what to pack etc..), a daily 'to do' list, a weekly 'to do' list, a wish list of 'things that need doing round the house'..... Calendars, food menus, kids activities, birthday lists, these are all my friends - I even made a list once of all the lists I needed to make!!! SAD yes!!!!

Now call me obsessive, call me a geek, call me sad but my mind these days is a volcano of 'everyday stuff' and it just keeps pouring out and the only way to reign it in and make sense of the lava which is my thoughts is with a pen and paper!!!!

However, I have started to look back over some of these lists - and NO i don't keep them for sentimental value before you ask - and I have found just how far down my own list of priorities I come!!!  But I am guessing I am not the only mummy out there who does this...........

No1 son needs new shoes (so do I but that will have to wait) ... add it to the list
The darling diva needs new trousers (so do i but that will have to wait) ... add it to the list
Hubby needs a haircut (so do I but that will have to wait) ...... make an appoinment, add it to the list.

Food shopping lists ....... all the food that the other three like, hmmmm not much of what I really want.  The diva like spag bol so thats what we will have on monday, Hubby doesn't like fish (i do, i do, ) so will get him something else. No1 son likes that brand of yogurts so thats what goes into the trolley!

Dog to the vets, out for a walk, kids to swimming, school, nursery, trips to the post office, bank, DIY store. Play dates, family visits, etc.. I wouldn't mind just sitting indoors with a cup of tea.

I even iron with myself at the bottom of the list - get the kids clothes out of the way first, then Hubbies, then mine. Well, you never know when they are going to need their clothes (like I won't need them either????? Go figure?

Now I don't know if I am beginning to slow down at the ripe old age of 35 but all of a sudden the lists are getting longer and i seem to be achieving less.  Of course their is always the added appendage of a child, usually the diva!  and this can slow me down no end as there is aleays something more important to do than the actual things I need to do!!   So i frantically try to do all the things on my list in the two hours she goes to nursery twice a week - now I don't think even superwoman could achieve this!!!!!  and usually I am rushing around sooooo much I forget the important stuff anyway, even if it is on the list he he!!!!

Don't get me wrong, I don't want a medal or accolade for putting myself last, thats part of the mummy guilt that happens when they pass that sqwarking bundle over to you, but sometimes I think I would like a P.A to help me persorm all the tasks on said list, or one of those machines so I can duplicate myself so that i can be in two places (make that three) at once!!!!     Then maybe I wouldn't climb into bed every night feeling knackered, and my head ready to explode with all the things that need doing the next day, or feelings of guilt for not achieving everything on the list that day!!

ARRGGGHHHHHHHHHH!! remind me to write a list of nice things to do like, have a hot cup of tea, read the paper, paint toenails, have a long luxurious uninteruppted bath, read book of choice, etc....      oh well, thats never going to happen so I will just add 'buy own 'wonderful mum' medal to tomorrows list xx



No comments:

Post a Comment