mumsnet

Tuesday 12 February 2013

Isnt it ironic......... Don't ya think??

'Man makes plans - God laughs' I'm often reminded of this old Yiddish proverb (don't ask me how I know this, I read a lot of random things!!) when inevitably my best laid plans come undone at the seams and lay unravelled at my feet!!
Its almost as if someone is trying to remind me that no matter how organised you think you are there are actually higher powers at work and they are gonna screw with your patience no matter what!!!!!!

Sometimes its just a little reminder, like a food shop done in record time, everything on the list bought and just as you are carrying it all into the house to unpack the handle on your bag breaks as do the eggs!!! so another little trip is needed!! Or that one evening in a million where you have arranged a romantic night out, the baby sitter is booked and hubby is on his way home when one of your darlings throws up in your lap!!  You rage inside but inevitably you deal with it!
I believe it was Alanis Morisette who said 'isn't it ironic....(like rain on your wedding day! keep up people!)

A definition of irony from the dictionary states that 'irony often conveys incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events and the normal expected result'.  Put simply irony usually signals a difference between the appearance of things and the reality - like Britain's biggest dog being called 'tiny'.

I see irony as a big leader in the 'Chaos' theory - that's usually applied to mathematics and many natural systems such as freak weather conditions (think Jeff Goldblum in Jurassic park and that drop of water! I remember the most random things honestly!!) but I honestly feel that it has a lot more to do with the general day to day running of life!!!!!
For example, hubby doesn't put the lid back on the milk properly before laying it down in the fridge, it spills, you need to clean it up, making you a fraction later for the school run.  So as you rush out of the door shouting at the kids to hurry as you go, you will definitely get stuck behind a tractor or a group of senior citizens crossing the road with the even older lollipop man! which means there will be no parking spaces outside school so you need to park further away. You rush to get said child into school, rush back to car to get second child to nursery, realise that No1 son has left lunch in car so you run it back into school. On return to car (still in a rush) you have a parking ticket!! You get home eventually to find fridge door wide open as whilst cleaning up and in the rush to get out you forgot to shut it!!! CHAOS

Therefore the fact that I make lists, I have a diary, family organiser, calender and yet things still come and bite me on the bum is ironic? OR CHAOS JUST BEING A BITCH?????
The fact that I always told my mum I was going to marry a man rich enough to have servants and yet I spend my entire day cooking and cleaning for my family, ironic or stupidity??  Th fact that recently we drove all the way to Norfolk to look for snow as we were fed up waiting for it in Essex and then that afternoon our home was covered in a blanket of the white stuff?!!!?? Irony??

Chaos, irony, stupidity, call it what you like , it all adds to the wonderful way my life is being played out. It adds to the grey hairs, the stress levels, and the amount of times I have to go to the fridge for a glass of wine that was bought on the second shopping trip (eggs breaking, please try to keep up!!) to numb the pain of the day only to discover its non alcoholic!!

Isn't it ironic, don't ya think ..... come on join in with me........ its like raiiiinnnnnn on your wedding day, its the free adviseeeeeee that you just didn't take..............

No comments:

Post a Comment